Located along Highway 75 just north of East Fork, Boxcar Bend Preserve got its name from the boxcars placed in the Big Wood River in 1952 by Union Pacific Railroad. The purpose was to prevent the accelerated erosion that was threatening the ground beneath the railroad tracks, but the attempt ultimately failed. Decades later, the community and various stakeholders came together to restore this section of river. Now this beautiful respite has become one of the most popular fishing access points in the Wood River Valley.

Thanks to the Land Trust’s continued restoration efforts and management, Boxcar Bend Preserve is  safely enjoyed by hikers, bicyclists, and fishing and wildlife enthusiasts.

Preserve Details

Acquired
1996
Acres Protected
7


Getting There

To get to the Boxcar Bend Preserve from downtown Hailey, head north on Main Street/Highway 75 toward Ketchum. About three quarters of a mile past the East Fork light, take a right turn into the dirt parking area. Cross the paved bike path, and take one of the wood chipped access trails down to the river.

Directions