Acres Protected: 7
Date Acquired: 1996
Public Benefits: Public Recreation, Water Protection, Scenic Views, Angling
Located along Highway 75 just north of East Fork, Boxcar Bend Preserve got its name from the boxcars placed in the Big Wood River in 1952 by Union Pacific Railroad. The purpose was to prevent the accelerated erosion that was threatening the ground beneath the railroad tracks, but the attempt ultimately failed. Decades later, the community and various stakeholders came together to restore this section of river. Now this beautiful respite has become one of the most popular fishing access points in the Wood River Valley. Thanks to the Land Trust’s continued restoration efforts and management, Boxcar Bend Preserve is safely enjoyed by hikers, bicyclists, and fishing and wildlife enthusiasts.