Boxcar Bend Preserve

 

  • Acres Protected:  7

  • Completed:  1996

  • Public Benefits:  Public Recreation, Water Protection, Scenic Views

Located along Highway 75 just north of East Fork, Boxcar Bend Preserve got its name from of the boxcars placed in the Big Wood River by Union Pacific Railroad in 1952.  The purpose was to prevent the accelerated erosion that was threatening the ground beneath the railroad tracks, but the attempt ultimately failed.  Several decades later, the community and various stakeholders came together to restore this section of river, and now this beautiful respite has become one of the most popular fishing access points in the Wood River Valley.  Thanks to the Land Trust’s continued restoration efforts and management, the Boxcar Bend Preserve can be safely enjoyed by hikers, bicyclists, and fishing and wildlife enthusiasts.

 
 
1
1